Sunday, April 25, 2010
Regular, interesting, supportive people who want to make art!
So it has taken more than a month for me to explain how it felt to be part of the Spencer Tunick installation at the Opera House - mainly because it was so exhilarating but also because in between then and now, lots of art has been made for my own shows! (Of clay, not bodies!)
The experience of being part of the 'fabric' for Spencer was certainly a unique experience!! Most friends and family have been really excited for me and keen to hear how the whole experience unfolded.
For me, I barely slept the evening before. I prepared my 'essentials' - given that we could not wear so much as a hair band or earrings, I simplified anything I took with me to Darling Harbour that morning! I knew I would leave a weeny pile of clothes somewhere on the lawns of the botanic gardens and there was a very REAL chance that they could be lost amongst the thousands.....missing when I returned from the photo shoot!
Nice adrenalin just from that uncertainty!
We undressed just as the light started to peep over the water on Sydney Harbour. The elation of walking along the path with all my fellow nudies was one of the best feelings ever! Amongst everybody the vibe was fun, exciting and actually not awkward at all!! Everyone was extremely attentive to the intructions of Spencer and his project managers. He spoke to us with a mega-phone and it was difficult to hear as helicopters were flying overhead...the media which was meant to be 'minimal!'.
During the shoot we were asked to turn to a stranger in the crowd - and embrace them. I turned to a pretty young woman, a backpacker living in Sydney and we both just giggled as we stood hugging - and shivering - in the Harbour's cool morning breeze. This experience of embracing someone I didnt know was really new - epecially naked - it made me feel very alive.
We then had to lay down on the steps of the Opera House....yummy cold cement on our skin! The closeness Spencer requested really did not feel uncomfortable for me. Rather, I think it was a great demonstration of how people of all sexual preferences, all nationalities, all shapes and sizes can come together....and lay on common grounds. Spencer had mentioned this in his interviews leading up to the photo-shoot in Australia - that the people that come along are usually just 'regular, interesting and supportive people who want to make art'.
I found I could relate to the title being 'The Base' because as a group (of thousands) connecting on that day - we experienced some very base level, yet highly important human behaviours.....acts of kindness, patience and touch.
Pictures are worth a thousand words so here is a link to the art made by Spencer, 1st March 2010 at Sydney Opera House:
http://www.smh.com.au/multimedia/entertainment/art-and-design/spencer-tunicks-the-base/20100301-pbp4.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


nice em - i love it!
ReplyDelete