Although the Jacaranda's are blooming and the enormous stormy skies have been just the home-coming I expect in springtime, unfortunately I've had less time than I thought to finish my "Denmark story".
So what happened with all that firing? Below is a photo from the kiln yard, as we unloaded work from the Olsen kiln - the first thing that was striking was the common colour across all the work - tangerine one might call it!
Above is one of my large sculptures - 'Dwell in Desire' which gives a good sense of the colour results. Discussions of the results suggested that this type of flashing had never been seen in work from the cross-draught kiln. We speculated that the process of reduction cooling - with moisture added to the kiln - could have had an influence.
This is 'Grace' - she sat in a different section of the kiln,close to the side chimney - yet captured similar levels of ash and flashing.
I love the colour - it is reminiscent of my time in Skaelskor - strangely like the colours of the sky on many afternoons at the beach.
Below are some more images of my work that came from the same 3-day firing. You might notice a common theme where I touch on currency, wind and water - some distinct aspects of Denmark's 'personality'.
'Money in the Wind I'[wall hanging]
'Money in the Wind II'[wall hanging]
Above 'Tømmer Fad' - Timber PlatterBelow - side view

'Money cups' Porcelain Vase
'Go With The Flow' Large Stoneware PlatterAnd some more pieces with more of an Australian patriotic flavour...
'FOOTPRINTS ACROSS MY LAND' [wall hanging]
'Patriotiske'
[wall hanging 2of 3 in series]


No comments:
Post a Comment