Monday, July 20, 2009

Beautiful Denmark! Perfect backdrop for the 'Sculpture in Public Space' Symposium

I arrived at the studio on 26th June and I must say, although I love the essence of old-fashioned maps like this one, my arrival in Skælskør was dependent on the trusty GPS (thanks Sandra!).
See the small blue dot right of centre in the map - this is
Skælskør, situated on the water in South-West Zealand and it is stunning.

I timed my arrival for the beginning of the Sculpture in Public Space Symposium which began on the Saturday. Key speakers included Justin Novak (U.S), Akio Takamori (JP/USA), Christie Brown (UK) and Ole Lislerud (Norway).


Justin Novak spoke generally about art in public spaces - and the requirement to 'engage' the public - both the people and the cityscape. He referred to the work of Anish Kapoor which was dubbed 'The Bean' in Chicago (pictured).


More renowned for his smaller figurines, the work of Justin's I found most interesting is the series he called '21st Century Bunnies'. The predator-like bunnies with weapons are very humourous, yet are a frightening comment on our security conscious society. Very appropriate given that I had just come through the States, had my fingerprints and a digital photograph taken by US officials, followed by my bag opened to have my ceramic tools scrutinised! See details of the slip-cast figurines at www.justinnovak.com.


Akio Takamori, with whom I am sharing a studio with for the summer, made a presentation on his 2200 Westlake Project in Seattle. From the outset of the project, Akio intended for his large female Japanese figures, standing greater than life size, to look 'graphic-like' and simple in contrast to their busy surroundings.

For this large scale commission, Aki
o shifted from ceramic models of the figures to the final full-size pieces created in powder-coated aluminium. Despite the debates about shifting mediums, and also needing to sacrifice his usual matte-finish for gloss weather protection, Akio was pleased with the work. In this image, Akio is demonstrating his brush work with thinned commerical underglazes on his coiled form. He managed to achieve the subtley and toned, layered effects on the aluminium sculptures using thinners with apoxy paints.

The program for the Symposium involved much discussion about the role of ceramics in public art - the potential of clay as a medium and various views on ceramics in education. These are on-going issues for my consideration whilst I am here in Denmark (and also concerns which are evidently global, having shared dialogue with my international peers). A valuable part of the Symposium was the boat tour we took with all the visiting speakers and resident artists. It helped to orient myself in this little town - and get to know everyone who will be in the studio throughout the Summer.
Skælskør - our quiet, sunny town (so far!)

From left; Ayano (Japan) Marie (US) and myself on the water


No comments:

Post a Comment